[Looking for Charlie's main web site?]

Ever find you can't use "Edit>Go To" in Notepad? Turn off wrapping

Just a quick tip for some readers: if you find yourself using the built-in Windows NotePad editor, you may want to use the Edit>Go To command to jump to a line. But sometimes it's greyed out. What gives?

Turns out it's pretty simple: just turn off wrapping (Format>Word Wrap). Doh! I've missed it for years, so am passing it along.

I know some will want to jump in and say "why are you using NotePad anyway?" Please save the smart remarks (and let's see if someone skips reading this and comments anyway).

I'm well aware of the many alternative text editors, as well as alternative file viewers (two of over 100 categories in my CF411 list).

But there are times when one may find themselves working on a Windows server where perhaps they're not free to install an alternative editor, or perhaps they just need to view/edit one file quickly so don't want to bother.

For those folks, I hope the tip above may help.

Comments
Why are you using notepad anyway? ;)
# Posted By rob | 12/19/08 3:38 PM
Did you know you download Notepad++ to use instead? ;)
# Posted By James M | 12/19/08 3:41 PM
James and Rob, you guys failed the test! Please read past the first two paragraphs. :-) Thanks.
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 12/19/08 7:37 PM
thanks guys! i just used this trick at work. i couldnt get my notepad to work either.
# Posted By Heidi | 12/22/08 9:50 AM
Hi Charlie; looks like you need to escape the > in your title tag for this post
# Posted By duncan | 12/31/08 7:00 AM
@Heidi, so glad I could help. Yes, it stumped me for a couple of years, too. Finally decided to spend some time googling to find the answer, then shared it.

@Duncan, thanks for that. No one else had noticed, and I didn't either, until I visited the site and saw that it was making the page render just a little funny. Got it sorted. (While BlogCFC does translate html character entities in the body of a post, it just didn't do it for the blog title, at least in the old version 5.005 version I still run.)
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 12/31/08 10:16 AM
Yeesh, it's the simple things that will get ya! THANKS! I'm exactly the user who has to use notepad at times on a remote server. I'm still going to work on getting a better editor on the server (doubtful), but meanwhile this is one less inconvenience!
# Posted By Bonnie | 1/1/09 8:58 PM
@Bonnie, great to hear. Thanks for the feedback. As for the other editors, I hope you caught my link to several alternatives, most of them free. When you say "doubtful", is it that you think someone will be against installing an editor on the server? Some are really (really) lightweight and very safe. Still, I understand the challenges. Hope the list is helpful. Cheers.
# Posted By charlie arehart | 1/1/09 10:33 PM
Thanks man. Works for Find and replace too which is what I was looking for.
# Posted By Nicko | 1/23/14 10:56 PM
Charlie, thank you so much for your help !
I thought it was one of those things Windows implements to torture us..., just like "You could do it but no more now !"
# Posted By Dave Brubeck | 3/9/16 1:01 AM
Thank you very much, sir! I was in WTH mode, too! LOL.
# Posted By Krobar | 10/30/17 8:10 AM
Glad to help. And just goes to show that even very old blog posts can still be valuable (as this problem is unchanged even in recent Windows releases).

It's shocking how many warts are in Notepad (like it still forcing saving and opening of txt files by default, and having no "recent files" list, and not being able to recognize linux CRLF codes, all of which Wordpad has been able to do for years!)
# Posted By Charlie Arehart | 10/30/17 4:21 PM